F-150 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$68,000 for a 2021 Ford F-150 Platinum can be steep, but is it too expensive?

Here's how one automotive publication put it:

"To those of us who don't buy trucks, that may seem incomprehensible, but from a high enough altitude, it starts to make sense. Consider for a moment that Ford is working on a solution for customers who want to apply magnetic decals to their aluminum-bodied trucks, from which we can infer that Ford has a critical mass of customers who need that sort of flexibility. There could be any number of reasons why somebody would need that functionality, but the most obvious one is that customers are looking for a one-size-fits-all vehicle: something with the practical utility of a truck that still cleans up nicely enough for an evening out.

And why not? Trucks aren't the only things that are getting more expensive, and a premium-spec pickup truck will still probably set you back less than a cheap one and a nice sedan or SUV to complement it. Plus, one vehicle is often cheaper to own than two. Plus, it's not like Ford is the only culprit here. Take a look at how much Jeep is charging for a loaded-up (and merely midsize) Gladiator.

So if the question is, "Are pickups too expensive?" then I'll answer yours with another: "Compared to what?" Having driven some of the new truck-based SUVs on the market, I'd have a hard time coming up with a convincing argument that the half-tons on which they are based aren't deserving of their price tags — price tags which actual, cash-in-hand (Though I'll admit, with today's financing plans, that's pushing it) pickup customers seem willing, even eager, to embrace."

·
Registered
196 Posts
$68,000 for a 2021 Ford F-150 Platinum can be steep, but is it too expensive?

Here's how one automotive publication put it:

"To those of us who don't buy trucks, that may seem incomprehensible, but from a high enough altitude, it starts to make sense. Consider for a moment that Ford is working on a solution for customers who want to apply magnetic decals to their aluminum-bodied trucks, from which we can infer that Ford has a critical mass of customers who need that sort of flexibility. There could be any number of reasons why somebody would need that functionality, but the most obvious one is that customers are looking for a one-size-fits-all vehicle: something with the practical utility of a truck that still cleans up nicely enough for an evening out.

And why not? Trucks aren't the only things that are getting more expensive, and a premium-spec pickup truck will still probably set you back less than a cheap one and a nice sedan or SUV to complement it. Plus, one vehicle is often cheaper to own than two. Plus, it's not like Ford is the only culprit here. Take a look at how much Jeep is charging for a loaded-up (and merely midsize) Gladiator.

So if the question is, "Are pickups too expensive?" then I'll answer yours with another: "Compared to what?" Having driven some of the new truck-based SUVs on the market, I'd have a hard time coming up with a convincing argument that the half-tons on which they are based aren't deserving of their price tags — price tags which actual, cash-in-hand (Though I'll admit, with today's financing plans, that's pushing it) pickup customers seem willing, even eager, to embrace."
This is what happens when everyone wants a truck or SUV, the prices go up because companies like Ford and Jeep know they can do it without losing customers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts