F-150 Forum banner

Mpg not as advertised

14K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Art Fahie 
#1 ·
Is anyone actually getting the advertised gas mileage? I have the 2021 hybrid and it’s supposed to get a blended 24 mpg but I only get 19.5. I’m using 93 octane and driving in eco mode. Highway mileage isn’t even close to the 27 advertised.

#4 ·
So i filled the tank with 93 octane when it was still 1/4 full of 87. I put it in eco mode and drove like a grandma. I went 12.5 miles and the trip averaged 24.5 mpg. I guess its possible. I have heard a few things. One, the mpg were quoted using the highest octane gas. Two, drive in eco mode which I don't really know what the difference is. Three, the truck takes a few hundred miles to work things out and maximize efficiency. And four, take it easy on the accelerations. I feel better knowing it is possible but will probably just drive like i normally do. When i do, i get between 19 and 20 which i am fine with. I think these companies need to quit overstating or exagerating the mpg claims. The automobiles should be driven under "normal" conditions. Not in a lab on a treadmill with no wind resistance.

#6 ·
Not here. I’ve posted the same. The best I can get driving in eco mode full time, never driving over 75mph is 20.4 average. What’s interesting is that I can drive it in normal mode, without thinking about mpg and still get 19. Too much effort to hit 20.4.

#14 ·
Definitely correct, even better than anticipated. Fuel is 91 Octane Zero Ethanol, and it is in Normal mode, which allows for a quicker and more efficient acceleration than eco mode does.

Attachments

#15 ·
No clue what gas was put in by the dealership, but driving home, 90+ miles, pegged @ 72 when 65 and 67 when 60, I got 27 mpg. I was in ECO and I'm convinced I had a tailwind. That being said, I have been driving gently the last three weeks while I've owned it and throughout that time and 1300 miles, I've averaged 23.7 mpg with 87 octane fuel. However, I frequently forget to put it in ECO mode. I bought my 2021 XLT Powerboost with 2900 miles on it, so I missed the break-in period. It had been a courtesy vehicle. Just filled it with 91 octane today. Will find out what, if any difference there is to MPGs.

#16 ·
Do not use ethanol, a 2-3mpg difference on ethanol. 93 octane with ethanol is a joke, with 87 non-ethanol, I have both power and efficiency.

Attachments

#17 ·
I have a 2021 F 150 4 x 4 with the 2.7 twin turbo - and am very disappointed with the gas mileage I am getting. I am averaging 16.25 mpg combined city and highway (about 50/50) and am driving very conservatively. I have to ask all of you - are you just going by the average mpg that is displayed on your dashboard or are you using your own math to divide the miles driven by the gallons used to get your mpg? If I go by my dashboard - I am getting up to 27 mpg on the highway but the reality of when I do the math myself is much different (16.25 mpg).

#18 ·
I'm using 87 octane, just over 1900 miles driven, 80% of those miles in 'eco' mode. I'm driving like an old man with questionable eyesight, with many miles in town, and overall, I'm averaging 24.3 MPG. Do you have to try to get it, yes? You can't use most of the torque and horsepower and expect to get the best mileage. That's the issue at hand. Do you want to drive aggressive or efficiently? You don't get both.

#19 ·
I have same truck and let me blow your mind, I'm getting the same mileage that your are getting and I drive in normal mode all the time. I tried eco mode for a tank and got the same, 19.5mpg. I've been watching my braking (it's noticeable in the mileage if I score 70 or below for more than 3 stops on an 8 stop trip), the truck says my acceleration averages and the rest are all 99%. I'm with you, what gives? What is the magical trick to get closer to the epa mileage?

#21 ·
I have been having similar issues with MPG on my truck. 2021 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Powerboost. I get 12-16 in town on a typical day. On rare occasion I can get 17-21. This isn't close to the advertised and have taken it in for mpg concerns as well. I got the runaround for it being a new truck and cold outside. I keep feeling that the truck is dragging and not coasting or going in electric only enough. I have also noticed the occasional clunk like the 4wd is in engaging/ disengaging. Starting to wonder if there are EWIE issues and the magnet is engaging the 4wd randomly on the driver's side hub affecting the MPG.

Last new truck I had was a 2014 Tundra which has no tech to save on gas and I got better MPG's with that.

#22 ·
My Powerboost has 5,000 miles on it... as I drive mostly on single-lane roads (Maine & New Hampshire) I appreciate the cruise control regulating the vehicle speed of the often slow (subaru & Prius) "drivers" I always tend to get stuck behind. That being said, I've been averaging 26.8mpg in Normal mode... admittedly using a light foot... and gas isn't any cheaper! Just my two cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.